Menu

Blessed Sacrament School opened on February 1, 1915.  Because of the heavy debt incurred in building the original church and renovating the rectory, the parishioners decided to utilize the old hall – a former Protestant church – as a temporary school.  Sliding partitions and new desks were installed.  Seventeen children, enrolled in grades one through four, made up the first classes.  During the following winter, heavy rains that flooded the property made this building uninhabitable.  The pastor managed to erect a small, three-room, screen-sided bungalow into which the students could move.  Two more classrooms were added in 1919.

Originally both Blessed Sacrament Church and School were located on three lots on the southeast corner of Prospect Avenue (now Hollywood Boulevard) and Eulalie Street (now Cherokee Avenue).  The rapid growth of Hollywood itself, however, as well as the encroachment of the business district soon made this site a less than ideal location.  In February 1921, the parish purchased property on Sunset Boulevard and Cherokee Avenue, and on January 2, 1923 broke ground for a new school. On September 21, 1923, Blessed Sacrament School began classes for 370 students on its present site. 

During the first seventy-one years of its existence, the Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary staffed Blessed Sacrament School.